Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dominican nuns singing Divine Office

A sound from the past to help Anna F. relax as she recovers from surgery. The sweet singing of Divine Office by Dominican nuns. Not exactly our Sisters Humbert and Dominico and Fidelis and Maoilosa and Lambert and Osanna and Petronella and Pauline and Cletic and Carolus and De Montfort and Patricia and Hyacinth and Antoinette and MacNesius and several others I will remember when I think a little bit longer about it.

For 7 years we were in the care of those good wise women. We were roused by lauds and matins when we slept in St Columba's dormitory as the nuns went down the spiral stairs behind the dorm, going in procession to the chapel. As we settled in the study hall after recreation, compline was sung overhead in the chapel. And then, if we stayed up after lights out for extra examination study in summer term, tenebrae echoed along the rosary corridor as we eventually headed to bed. A peaceful little world where we were happier than we knew.




The picture below shows the convent and school as it was 50 years ago. I've cropped the newer buildings. It has been my destiny to be a cliffhanger, it seems.



1 comment:

Henwhisperer said...

Hello from Vermont! Do you visit my blog sometimes? Someone from Louth does drop in from time to time. Is it you?

Have you been to read the chapter preview of my book from 2007 NaNoWriMo? I'm self publishing it through CreateSpace. The love the way the cover turned out (you can see that on my blog). I am pleased with the book also.

Hope all is well in your world!

Cheers!