"Who's there?"
"Bridget"
"Sia beatha, sia beatha, a Bhríd (hail Bridget). Come in"
Whereupon Bridget entered.
(Note: For meteorologists and suchlike persons who like precise weather detail, you can observe the last grey light of the last grey day of winter waning over grey Donegal Bay, through the front door which is reflected in the mirror)
By some miracle of nature, no matter how severe the winter, rushes are always plump, flexible and long, ready for gathering on Bridget's Eve, but not this year.
For the first time in a lifetime of making Bridget's crosses, I could find only rushes that are short, brittle and weatherbeaten. What does that portend for the coming year, I wonder? Good or ill?
Second daughter has claimed the red scarf which has acquired healing powers today from being used to carry Bridget's rushes. Along with the healing gooseberry spines she brought from the garden today, it will make her into a probationary Wise Woman.
We gave away some crosses and hung one in
the kitchen, near the back door. It looks puny because the short rushes can make only small crosses.
I was tempted to leave the crosses uncut to increase their size, see below.
I asked second daughter to take some pictures and just look at how she managed to send lightning streaks down the mirror towards the rushes. Did she do this in her role as Bridget? Or is it a sign that she has received her healing powers? Hmmmmm.......
For the first time in a lifetime of making Bridget's crosses, I could find only rushes that are short, brittle and weatherbeaten. What does that portend for the coming year, I wonder? Good or ill?
Second daughter has claimed the red scarf which has acquired healing powers today from being used to carry Bridget's rushes. Along with the healing gooseberry spines she brought from the garden today, it will make her into a probationary Wise Woman.
We gave away some crosses and hung one in
I was tempted to leave the crosses uncut to increase their size, see below.
I asked second daughter to take some pictures and just look at how she managed to send lightning streaks down the mirror towards the rushes. Did she do this in her role as Bridget? Or is it a sign that she has received her healing powers? Hmmmmm.......
1 comment:
Great blog! I had the pleasure of being taught how to make a St. Bridget's cross this weekend also. Beautiful. Another tradition we followed through with was the putting out of a piece of cloth on a hedge the night before. This is to catch the dew of St. Bridget. We then brought in the cloth and cut it up into pieces and gave a bit to everyone. You can carry in your purse or keep it in the house and it is meant to bring healing and abundance. It is called ‘Brat Bríde.’
Followers of St. Bridget came to believe that on the eve of her day, 1st of Feb, she spread her cloak over all of Ireland, to give it protection for the following year. The cloak was red (more goddess than nun) and it became the custom to leave a piece of red flannel overnight, on a tall bush, so that it became touched by Bridget’s cloak. This became known as the ‘Brat Bríde’.
Post a Comment