Now where have I put the tickets? That is, the printed receipts of our bookings?
From the lofty height of my wisdom and experience I offer some information on our upcoming visit to Dublin, the capital city of the Republic of Ireland (the capital city of God and Mary and Bridget and Patrick and Colmcille and Brendan and Barron's own country.)
(You must make allowances for the fact that as a one time northerner I was taught, at an early, to turn my face towards Dublin 3 times a day, genuflect with due reverence and recite the litany of the saints in Irish. )
Handel's Messiah was first performed in Dublin in 13/04/1742 so we are being incredibly couth in attending the current production on 06/12/2008*, in Saint Patrick's Cathedral not far from where it was first performed in Fishamble Street, with Handel himself conducting and accompanying on the harpsicord. The choir totalled 12 people, including soloists so the sound wasn't quite as big as my Messiah CD when I turn the volume up to 23. (Note what the Dean of Saint Patrick's thought of the first production http://gfhandel.org/messiah.htm.)
And you are right, Fairy Poo, Christchurch and Saint Patrick's are close by but they're not quite in the same place.
Wikipedia suggests that the tradition of standing for the Hallelujah Chorus did not arise from George II's giving it a standing ovation but quite possibly because the king needed to flex his gouty leg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_(Handel)
At least King George II didn't take a call on his mobile phone.
For Farquhar bio visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Farquhar. Then you won't have to read it all in the programme on Saturday night at the Abbey. Considering that he came from Derry, I could pass remarks at this point about Derryishness but refrain. After February, I may have reason to return to that subject. Or maybe not.
* If you wonder what is so couth about these dates, let me point out that 2008-1742=266. 13.04+06.12=19.16 19.16-266=16.50 which is the precise time that the last Donegal via Aghalane express bus leaves the Dublin Bus Aras. I'm sure Pedro will confirm my calculation as statistically and clinically correct.
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What happened to your early respect for Dublin?
The city of sainted politicians and heavenly health services.... where rain turns to gold when it dares to sprinkle on the blessed citizens' delicate east coast crowns.... I think you ought to get down on your knees below Clery's clock and give praise to the great god of shopping.
Post a Comment