Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Those 55 foot waves we were promised.




With regard to the 55 foot waves the weather forecasters promised last weekend, some Bundoran surfers rode what certainly look like big waves and a floating camera person took pictures that can be seen at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7122844.stm


I took my picture, looking down. So is it all about camera angle? It was 10.30 am, the wind was just rising - see the wind on palms. The tide (neap) was half an hour short of full tide. The waves packed a lot of power and broke twice as high as the cliffs at Robert's Hole and Ellen Mor. There were 4 breaks rolling simultaneously at carrig easkey and there was a huge white wave breaking off Robert's Hole that I've never seen before. We were looking at deep troughs rather than high wave crests. Does that make sense?


I've seen bigger waves, not to mention bigger wind. The wind ripped a bit on Saturday night but didn't make the window glass oscillate so Beethoven's 9th remained unplayed. House rule. Have you girls ever heard the end of the 9th symphony? Or was there always a power cut?


1 comment:

Anna said...

My taxi driver this morning drove all the way to Galway at the weekend to see the big waves and was very disapointed. If I see him again, I'll let him know that it's all about the angle and he should have leaped into the water at Salthill for the hardcore experience.