I knew there had to be a reason for my obsession with Lewey O’Clery. An infatuation with somebody who flourished 1607-1620 made no sense otherwise. Today, eureka, I have found it.
The Contention of the Bards, my next play, will not be a sequel to the DD, more a poaching of Lewey from one play to another. He will now go on to flourish in Ballymagroarty in 1616. That was the year that Hugh O’Neill, the last of the Ulster earls, died in Rome and a quisling poet in County Clare launched a revisionist attack on the ancient traditions of Gaelic culture and history. Lewey, naturally, leaped to defend the old order and the Contention of the Bards resulted.
Lots and lots of plot, not to mention character. I always knew them Clare people were as twisted as their Corkscrew Hill.
Go Lewey! Well, go eventually. First I must I complete Marchlands.
A serendipidous detail tells me I’m on the right track – I've just bought a 1919 translated, annotated edition of The Contention of the Bards at considerabloe expense from abebooks. The description of the book states that the previous owner was revisionist historian Ruth Dudley Edwards. Maybe, when it comes, I’ll stick my own library label over her name.
I could get on my soapbox now and top up to 300 words with my views on historical revisionism, but I desist. Pa has a pot of tea made and calls me to share it.
The Contention of the Bards, my next play, will not be a sequel to the DD, more a poaching of Lewey from one play to another. He will now go on to flourish in Ballymagroarty in 1616. That was the year that Hugh O’Neill, the last of the Ulster earls, died in Rome and a quisling poet in County Clare launched a revisionist attack on the ancient traditions of Gaelic culture and history. Lewey, naturally, leaped to defend the old order and the Contention of the Bards resulted.
Lots and lots of plot, not to mention character. I always knew them Clare people were as twisted as their Corkscrew Hill.
Go Lewey! Well, go eventually. First I must I complete Marchlands.

A serendipidous detail tells me I’m on the right track – I've just bought a 1919 translated, annotated edition of The Contention of the Bards at considerabloe expense from abebooks. The description of the book states that the previous owner was revisionist historian Ruth Dudley Edwards. Maybe, when it comes, I’ll stick my own library label over her name.
I could get on my soapbox now and top up to 300 words with my views on historical revisionism, but I desist. Pa has a pot of tea made and calls me to share it.
No comments:
Post a Comment