Saturday, November 3, 2007

Kate Donovan on writing poetry

Practice of Writing – Katie Donovan, poet 15/02/2007

Having attended Katie Donovan’s reading of her poems the previous evening, I was prepared to be engaged, despite my usual disapprobation of poets who read.

She briefly describes the discipline of writing. Unquestionably her method sounds simple. A poem, it appears, can be composed in the intervals between attending to the demands of the bread and butter job, children, childbearing, partner pleasing, etc. I can relate to that but feel that she is a little self indulgent in allowing children and husband to intrude unduly upon the writing. The bread and butter job can’t be helped, I suppose. Bread and butter must be acquired for oneself and dependent others.

Katie offered ten pieces of advice which have guided her on her writerly path, advice which was given to her early in her writing (creative not journalistic) career. They are:

1 The Origin of a piece of writing can be humble. One does not have to write about BIG things.

2 You don’t need a sophisticated education. If you are saturated by other writers you may never find your own voice. Don’t read Ulysses. It takes time and practice to be good, not study of deconstructionist theory. I don’t agree. On must read in the field in which one writes.

3 Isolation is good. Loneliness becomes self sufficiency. Get used to it. It feeds you. (Really? So why am I here in a room with 20 other people instead of sitting alone on my cliff edge in Rossnowlagh[1]?)

4 Don’t show your work to others such as family or significant other. Significant other might actually be jealous, unconsciously or otherwise, of this thing you do alone without his/her support and assistance. Don’t expect balanced supportive feedback from a partner who may be insanely jealous and anxious to destroy the perceived rival.[2]

5 Don’t be seduced into thinking starting is hard, that it becomes easy after publication. It is still hard, but nevertheless, rewarding.

6 Don’t worry if you can’t articulate what your writing is about. Trust your reader. Don’t over explain.

7 The rejects are your babies too. Don’t expect everything to be published.

8 Be who you are as a writer. Let your light shine where it goes.

9 Never rush your work. Go at your own pace.

10 Have a plan as a comfort blanket, not as a locked box inside which you must work.

That was it. More or less. Interesting discussion followed. There was advice on how to deal with publishers who neglect to return work. Katie disagreed with my suggestion that you duplicate your work and send to many publishers. On the matter of using one’s writing to serve an agenda, Katie disagreed. Whatever your axe is, don’t grind it in your creative work.
I still haven’t had the opportunity to examine the ceiling ornamentation. I cannot do it without giving the impression that I am seeing angels. One day I may faint and as I lie on the floor having my collar loosened, I will look up and see it in all its glory.

[1] While staring at the emptiness of the ocean
[2] Is a woman jealous of her husband’s creative work or is it just husband’s who want to monopolise their woman? Think of all the writers/artists who have been served by wifely facilitators. How many husbands have fulfilled this role?

1 comment:

Emerging Writer said...

Sounds like an interesting reading. Did she read her poetry too? Where was it (OK I know it was a few months ago...)